Arlesheim, Basel-Landschaft (BL), Schweiz/Suisse/Svizzera/Switzerland

[1984 Nikon FE2 SLR 35-mm roll film camera, s/n 1816483, with Nikkor AI 50-mm f/1.8 lens, s/n 2336591, and 52-mm polarizing filter;
Kodak Ektar 125 (Kodak 5101 | Ektar 125-1) 36-exposure colour negative film]

© Copyright photograph by Stephan Alexander Scharnberg, November 1991

Monday, January 18, 2010

My son




Cohen arriving home at YSJ (Saint John Airport) after a month of visiting in Vancouver, summer 2009.








A friend of my son commented on this photo, “Cohen, you look epic.” My son, Cohen Isaac Scharnberg (O’Connor), and I are close since his birth. When he was 9½ years old, March 2002, his mother moved back to her hometown of Saint John, New Brunswick, taking him and his older sister with her, with my reluctant blessing, this after a year of much thought and seeking some legal advice on my part. We talk every weekend and I fly him out to the West Coast every summer. Except for the first, the photographs, in no particular order from 2008 and 2009, are taken by I-don’t-know-which family members and friends, so I’ll attribute them to him. Cohen has a droll sense of humour. He and his friends are typical teens in some ways, yet unique and independent-minded in other ways. They stay out of trouble. Saint John is one of those cities where many people still leave car and house doors unlocked, and crime is rather low in comparison to the big urban sprawls of Toronto, Montréal, Vancouver, and the like. People in New Brunswick, like the other Maritimers, are a friendly lot. I have visited there a couple of times. The city has much history behind her. The province is beautiful summer or winter, the two seasons I have visited her. To visitors from out-of-province, they kindly say, “You’re from away.”


© Copyright photograph by Joseph P.O. Comeau, 2009

© Copyright photographs by Cohen Isaac Scharnberg, 2008–2009

No comments: